When you are having a stressful day, it might be tempting to call for takeout (we have all been there!), but making a healthful meal – that can calm your nerves too – can be as simple as turning on your blender!
This spicy berry gazpacho contains strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and fresh orange juice; all of which are high in vitamin C. Vitamin C has been shown to reduce blood pressure and tension overall. The soup gets a kick from chopped jalapeño peppers, which believe it or not, can also help you to de-stress as eating spicy foods increases production of the feel-good hormone serotonin.
You can eat this gazpacho straight out of the blender, or chill it for a refreshingly cool twist. Either way, it will be ready in a matter of minutes, and be better for your body – and your mood – than most anything you can order in!
Spicy Berry Gazpacho (Serves 2-4)
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sliced raspberries OR blackberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- ¼ jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 small orange zested & juiced
- ¼ cup cold water
- ½ green onion, sliced
- In a blender or food processor, combine ½ cup of the strawberries, ½ cup of the raspberries (or blackberries), blueberries, pepper, maple syrup, orange zest and juice, and water. Blend until smooth. Add more water if you prefer a thinner consistency.
- Chill before serving, if desired.
- When serving, spoon the blended mixture into a bowl, and top with a small handful of the remaining berries and a sprinkle of green onion.
What are your favorite quick recipes?